Skip to main content

10 Tax Tips for Dual-Status Aliens

Published October 2, 2020

9 minute read

By WalletGenius Staff

On Jan. 1, German citizen Hans Schlabaugh arrived in the United States for business meetings. He returned to Germany 10 days later. Then, on May 15, Schlabaugh traveled to the U.S. again, this time on a visa to work for the American division of his employer for the remainder of the year.

For tax purposes, the Internal Revenue Service considers Schlabaugh a U.S. nonresident alien until May 15. After May 15, he is considered a U.S. resident alien. Will this affect the tax forms Schlabaugh will file for that tax year?

In a word: Yes. He’ll need to file federal income taxes as a dual-status alien, which recognizes a person as a U.S. resident alien and a U.S. nonresident alien in the same tax year. Typically, this occurs the year a non-U.S. citizen arrives in or departs from the U.S., as long as certain residency requirements are met.

Being a dual-status alien shouldn’t be confused with citizenship, though. It only applies to federal taxes. It signifies that a person will need to follow different tax rules for portions of the same year, depending on the amount of time he or she is a U.S. resident alien versus a U.S. nonresident alien [source: IRS].

Certain people, although they may meet the criteria for dual-status aliens, are exempt. This includes teachers, trainees, students and people temporarily in the U.S., such as professional athletes or foreign government workers.

We’ve compiled 10 tips for keeping up with all the ins and outs of taxes for those who wind up with more than one status.

10. Pass the Resident Alien IRS Test

You’re not a U.S. resident, but your work necessitates that you to live in America for a significant period of time, probably several months. This may sound like a simple enough scenario for figuring out your income taxes, but there’s an important test that will eventually factor into the mix.

Before you break out the calculus primer or hire a tutor, take heart. This test doesn’t require any studying. In fact, it may be one of the easiest tests you’ll ever take. It simply tracks the time you’ve spent in the United States.

You’ll pass the test, known as the Resident Alien Test, if you’ve established a “substantial presence” in the U.S. This means you have spent more than 31 days in the U.S. during the current tax year or more than 183 days during a three-year period that includes the current tax year.

You’ll also meet the requirements of the Resident Alien Test if you become a permanent resident of the U.S. but do not have citizenship or are in the process of applying for citizenship. In this case, the Resident Alien Test applies to someone who, for example, has a green card that allows him or her to resident and work in the U.S. lawfully [source:Investopedia]. Find out how — and when — you’ll qualify as a nonresident alien next.

9. Pass the Nonresident Alien IRS Test

If you are not a citizen of the U.S., but are in the U.S., you may be considered a nonresident alien, according to the IRS. Unlike a noncitizen who passes the Resident Alien test, which involves a green card and a days-spent-in-country threshold, the Nonresident Alien Test requires neither of these criteria. In fact, the opposite is true.

A nonresident alien earns the classification when they reside in the U.S. without a green card. A green card is the colloquial term for the Alien Registration Card, which signifies that a nonresident is lawfully in the U.S. as a permanent or conditional resident. It allows a nonresident to work in the U.S., and travel back and forth between the U.S. and other countries [source: Bray]. If a noncitizen does not qualify for a green card, that person is considered a nonresident alien.

In addition, if a person who is not a U.S. resident does not show “substantial presence” in the U.S. — by living in America for 31 days in the current year or 183 days during a three-year period that includes the current year — then that person is considered a nonresident alien [source: Investopedia].

When a person is a nonresident alien and a resident alien in the same year, he or she will follow different tax rules according to the difference in alien status. It’s important to understand the differences between resident alien taxes and nonresident alien taxes, which we’ll begin outlining on the next page.

8. Understand Resident Alien Taxes

When a noncitizen of the U.S. is classified as a U.S. resident alien, that person is subject to specific taxation on income. In general, a resident alien will be taxed on personal income in the same way a U.S. citizen is taxed.

This means a resident alien will need to include all forms of income — interest, dividends, wages or other compensation for services — when filing federal income taxes. A resident alien also will need to include income from rental property, royalties or any other type of income on his or her taxes. And this goes for income earned in any other part of the world, too. Worldwide income should be included when filing U.S. federal income taxes.

Because resident aliens are taxed the same way U.S. residents are taxed, resident aliens will be taxed on income according to the graduated tax rates determined by the IRS. These gradated tax rates, known commonly as tax brackets, range from 10 percent on taxable income of $9, 075 or less to 39.6 percent on taxable income of $406,750 or more [sources: ErbIRS].

7. Understand Nonresident Alien Taxes

In most cases, nonresident aliens will need to file federal income taxes in the United States. Specifically, nonresident aliens who earned income that exceeded the personal exemptions allowed by the IRS, who received money from an estate or trust, or who are charged with the care of a nonresident alien, will be required to withhold federal income tax and file federal income taxes at the end of the tax year.

There is one important exception. Nonresident aliens need only to claim sources of income that originated in the United States.

To complicate matters, there are exceptions to the exception. Certain investments, like stocks, could still be subject to tax. For example, if you live in Saudi Arabia and own a company that operates in the U.S., but you are a nonresident alien of the U.S., the income you receive from the business could be subject to U.S. tax. Dividends like these would be taxed at 30 percent for a nonresident alien, unless they are capital gains received from the sale of a business or property, at which point the money is exempt until a certain threshold — usually $250,000 [sources: IRSInvestopediaPomerlau].

6. Claim Tax Credits When You Can

For the part of the tax year a person is considered a resident alien, he or she can generally claim the same tax credits that apply to U.S. citizens. After all, a resident alien is withholding taxes according to the same rules and regulations that apply to U.S. citizens, too.

As long as a resident alien meets the criteria for each credit, he or she is typically able to claim credits such as a Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Credit, Adoption Credit, Child and Dependent Care Credit and Credit for the Elderly and Disabled [source: IRS].

Plus, a resident alien can claim foreign tax credits, unlike a nonresident alien. A foreign tax credit is designed to avoid double taxation by the U.S. and another country. Often, if the tax rate in another country is higher than in the U.S., there won’t be a U.S. tax levied on foreign income. If, however, the tax rate in another country is lower than in the United States, the U.S. tax will only be applicable to the difference between the two tax rates. Keep in mind, however, that the credit can only be used to reduce U.S. taxes on income that originates in another country. It cannot be used to reduce U.S. taxes on U.S. income [source: IRS].

5. Take Advantage of Tax Deductions

It’s important to know which tax deductions you can claim as either a resident alien or nonresident alien during the year you qualify as a dual-status alien. These tax deductions, and your ability to claim them, will depend on your status.

For example, if you are a nonresident alien, you will not be able to claim the standard deduction unless you are a student or business apprentice from India. However, generally, you can claim deductions on income that is related to your business activities and earnings in the U.S., and itemize certain deductions such as charitable contributions, state income taxes and some business expenses [source: IRS].

Nonresident aliens are given a wider berth when it comes to deductions because they are allowed the same tax deductions as U.S. citizens. For example, nonresident aliens can claim some medical expenses, real estate taxes, home mortgage interest, state income taxes and other deductions. Unlike resident aliens, nonresident aliens can claim a standard tax deduction.

Keep in mind that when you are considered dual-status, you will need to toggle between which deductions you are allowed on income earned either as a resident alien or nonresident alien during the same year [source: IRS].

4. Know Which Exemptions to Claim — and When

When you’re a dual-status alien, you need to know which exemptions you can claim — and when. It will all depend on which portion of the year you are considered a resident alien and which portion of the year you are considered a nonresident alien.

When you’re a resident alien, you’re able to claim all the same exemptions as a U.S. citizen, such as dependents.

Things are a bit more limited when you’re a nonresident alien, though. During the time of year when you are a nonresident alien, you may claim only one personal exemption (as long as you can’t be claimed a dependent by anyone else). This one-exemption rule holds true even if you are married.

There are certain exceptions. For example, U.S. nationals or residents of Canada or Mexico may claim additional exemptions for spouse and dependents under certain circumstances, such as when a spouse has no gross income and cannot be claimed as a dependent of another U.S. taxpayer or when dependents qualify under normal dependent regulations [source: IRS].

3. File Two Tax Returns

For most people, filing a solitary federal tax return is the norm. For dual-status taxpayers, however, filing federal taxes is a bit more involved.

A dual-status taxpayer will need to file two tax returns for the year, one for the portion of the year when the person was a nonresident and another for when the person was a resident alien. As if this weren’t complicated enough, you’ll need to know which forms to file at the end of the tax year based on your status at the end of the tax year. For example, if you end the tax year as a resident alien or a resident, you will need to file Form 1040. At the top of Form 1040, you’ll need to write “Dual-Status Return” and then attached a statement to the return that illustrates your income for the portion of the year when you were a nonresident. You may be able to use a Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ as the statement, as long as you write “Dual Status Statement” across the top.

A nonresident alien, on the other hand, will need to file Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ. This would be applicable to a dual-status taxpayer who does not reside in the U.S. on the last day of the tax year and who is not a U.S. resident at the end of that same year. When filing, “Dual-Status Return” will need to be written across the top of the return and an income statement will need to be attached [source: IRS].

2. Elect to Be Treated as Full-year Resident

If you are not a citizen of the United States, and even if you live and work in the U.S. for only part of the year, you may be able to file your federal income taxes as a full-year resident. This option may be especially attractive during a dual-status transition year because electing to be treated as a full-year resident in the U.S. allows the taxpayer to file only one tax return instead of two. Otherwise, the taxpayer would need to file a tax return in the United States and the country in which he or she is a citizen.

In order to be considered a full-year resident during a tax year, certain conditions must be met. For example, the option is open only to nonresident aliens who are married to a person who is either a citizen of the U.S. or a resident alien of the U.S. Plus, both spouses must agree for the nonresident alien to be treated as a full-year resident. To make this election, both spouses must sign a statement and attach it to their tax return, and the status will remain in force until either spouse’s citizenship status changes — or a requested revocation, separation, divorce or death occurs [source: KPMG].

One of the chief benefits to being treated as a full-year resident centers around filing a joint tax return, which we explore in more detail in the next section.

1. File as a Full-year Resident

One of the main reasons a dual-status or a nonresident alien of the United States would want to file as a full-year resident is to gain the benefits of filing a joint tax return. Electing to file as a full-year resident makes a dual-status alien or a nonresident a fully-fledged citizen, at least in the eyes of the IRS when it comes to filing taxes. Without being designated as a full-year resident, a dual-status alien or a nonresident alien cannot file a joint return.

While the option of filing a joint tax return only applies to people who are married, it offers a number of tax benefits, including the ability to stay within a lower tax bracket or take a higher standard deduction. In fact, standard deductions aren’t available to dual-status aliens as a general rule [sources: KPMGIRS].

There are a few exceptions to the rule that a dual-status alien or nonresident alien can’t file a joint tax return. If a dual-status alien or nonresident is married to a resident alien, then they can file a joint tax return. The same is true of a dual-status alien or nonresident alien who is married to a U.S. citizen [source: IRS].

WalletGenius Staff


This article was worked on by a number of the WalletGenius staff, including freelancers, full-time writers, and editors.

Explore Taxes


What Are The New 2021 Tax Brackets?

Each year, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) updates their marginal income tax rates. In other words, they issue new tax brackets for the year ahead to reflect the ongoing impact of inflation. For 2021, there are seven income tax brackets in the United States: 10%, 12%, 22%, 24%, 32%, 35% and 37%. These will be […]

Read More about Post Title

7 minute read


Payroll Tax Deferment Guide: Everything You Need to Know

On March 11, 2021, President Biden signed the American Rescue Plan Act into law. It’s a $1.9 trillion bill that extends many forms of federal assistance for businesses impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic. Two of the provisions found in the ARPT are the employee retention credit and the employer payroll tax deferral. These provisions are […]

Read More about Post Title

3 minute read


Reasons Why Your Tax Refund is Delayed

The Internal Revenue Service is currently swamped. Despite that admission, you might still be anxiously waiting for your expected tax refund. The IRS says they have already processed more than 91 million individual returns from 2020. Additionally, more than 68 million refunds have already been issued to taxpayers. However, the agency is still holding more […]

Read More about Post Title

9 minute read


How Much Money Do You Have To Make To File Taxes?

Every single year without fail, tax time returns. If you’re already a seasoned tax veteran, then don’t worry. This article probably isn’t for you. However, if you are young and just started your first job or barely made any money last year, you might be wondering “how much money do you have to make to […]

Read More about Post Title

4 minute read

quarterly tax payments Taxes

Do You Need to File Quarterly Tax Payments?

Whenever you get a new job, you’re required to fill out a W4 form. Your answers will help your new employer figure out how much tax to withhold from your paycheck. They will send that money to the IRS on your behalf. In most cases, these withholdings will cover your tax liabilities. Especially once you […]

Read More about Post Title

5 minute read

tax liability Taxes

What is Tax Liability and How Is It Calculated?

You’ve probably heard the phrase before and wondered “what is tax liability?” Simply put, a tax liability is the total amount of tax owed by a person or company to the government. In short, it’s the amount of money owed to the “taxman.” Tax is owed for a lot of different reasons. It’s most commonly […]

Read More about Post Title

5 minute read

Social Security Taxes Taxes

Are Social Security Payments Taxable?

Is social security disability taxable? It’s a question that a lot of people have asked. While the answer can be a bit complicated, in most instances Social Security benefits of any kind are subject to being taxed. Most Americans who receive Social Security benefits pay income tax on up to half (or even 85%) of that […]

Read More about Post Title

5 minute read

Tax Abatement Tax Incentive Taxes

Tax Abatement: Everything You Need to Know

A tax abatement is a reduction in the amount of taxes a business or individual must pay to the federal, state, or municipal levels of government. Tax abatements typically take the form of a decrease in the amount of tax owing or a rebate being issued. In some instances, an abatement can also result in […]

Read More about Post Title

4 minute read

See All In Taxes

More from WalletGenius


How To Plan Your 2021 Christmas Budget

As much as I love gift-giving and the holiday season in general, I often find that it sneaks up on me. If you’re anything like me, you often find yourself in mid-December scrambling to get presents bought, wrapped, and even mailed. That last minute scramble often means paying more for gifts than you intended, since […]

Read More about Post Title

7 minute read

Financial Advice

How To Avoid Paying These Hidden Fees

One of my good friends is a financial planner. He recently told me something very interesting about hidden fees. He basically said that his income comes from the fees that he charges his clients. They are typically based on a percentage of the client’s assets. That means that every quarter (or annually), those fees are […]

Read More about Post Title

8 minute read

Financial Advice

How Do You Justify Your Debt?

Most of us are well aware how debt works. We know we shouldn’t buy things that we can’t afford. Instead, we know we’re supposed to save up for major purchases. It’s just smart financial sense to not make a bunch of purchases that drive up your debt. However, when it all comes right down to […]

Read More about Post Title

8 minute read

Woman stressed from overworking Financial Advice

Are You Actually Working Too Much?

Our society just idolizes “more” for some reason. We often talk about the mentality of “keeping up with the Joneses” in the context of material possessions often. However, I’ve noticed lately that people are just as impressed with those who seem to be “doing” more — and no, not doing more at work. We also […]

Read More about Post Title

8 minute read

Woman working on her finances Financial Advice

Easy Ways to Simplify Your Finances

“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” – Confucius Personal finance is surprisingly simple. Live below your means. Invest for the long term. Keep at it. Prosper. Yet, we instinctively want to complicate the process because we can’t trust that something so important can be so simple. I mean, how can […]

Read More about Post Title

7 minute read

Flipping Houses Home Ownership

How to Start Flipping Houses (And Actually Make Money)

House-flipping is often portrayed as a foolproof path to quick riches. While this inaccuracy can create unrealistic expectations, flipping houses can definitely be profitable if you do it right. And that’s the trick: the people most successful at flipping houses are generally the most experienced. That said, they all started somewhere. There’s nothing like completing […]

Read More about Post Title

6 minute read

TSP Loans Loans

TSP Loan: Everything You Need To Know

TSP loans are specialized loans designed for employees of the United States federal government. They offer federal employees access to a unique loan class that uses their retirement plans to finance their borrowing needs. Financial advisors often liken them to the 401(k) loans available to members of the general public. Yet, TSP loans differ from […]

Read More about Post Title

5 minute read

Trusted provider of accurate rates & financial information